Assist the Safety & Security Manager in developing and implementing the plant’s safety & security process to ensure a proactive approach of continuous improvement in the areas of safety & security policies & procedures, injury & illness prevention, safety management, plant security, crisis management, and OSHA compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist the Safety & Security Manager to ensure compliance with state and federal safety regulatory requirements. Assist the Safety & Security Manager in evaluating the factory environment to meet employee’s ergonomic needs, noise level compliance, and procedures are implemented to meet both the Company’s safety requirements and regulatory standards. Conducts safety audits and ensures proper corrective action is taken.
- References McCain’s “Key Element” process to assist the Safety & Security Manager in closing the gaps identified in the annual internal or external “Key Element” audit. Acts as a resource for the employee safety committees in coordination with the Safety & Security Manager.
- Stays abreast of pending developments in the safety & security area that could impact the plant via professional associations, workshops, etc.
- Learn and develop the key skills required to implement continuous improvement disciplines into the safety improvement process. Participate in continuous improvement activities and training opportunities such as Kaizen events etc.
- Assist Safety & Security Manager in executing specific programs and activities to prevent employee injury and illness and increase employee well-being. Programs should target employee responsibility for individual safety and focus on both on-the-job and off-the-job activities that have an effect on employee health.
- Ability to work independently and within teams on projects with minimal supervision.
QUALIFICATIONS / KEY SKILLS / ATTRIBUTES
The ability to work with and influence others to cultivate a positive safety culture. Able to create written safety procedures such as Job Safety Analysis (JSA), Lock Out procedures, Safety Policies, and Standard Work. The ability to deal with and develop a plan in an ambiguous environment is key. Experience in training and facilitating is a plus.
Strong oral communications. Able to speak clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations. Listens and gets clarification. Responds appropriate to questions. Participate in meetings. Able to speak to large groups of people and provide effective training.
Computer literacy is a required.
- Knowledge and skill with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) is required.
- Knowledge and skills in database use is required.
Knowledge of processing equipment, processing methods, manufacturing philosophies, and basic manufacturing GMP’s is preferred.
- Must provide professional representation of McCain mission and values both inside and outside the organization. Must adhere to the McCain Code of Conduct.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- As a member of the leadership team at the facility, your participation in the continuous improvement process is expected. This includes taking an active role in process improvement initiatives, employee training and upgrading your current skill base.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree in Operations Safety or related field preferred, with minimum two years progressive experience in the field desired, or a requisite combination of education and experience. Safety Professional Certification by a nationally known institute such as OSHA, the National Safety Council (NSC), the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), or the National Association of Safety Professionals (NASP) is preferred. An OSHA 10 hour and OSHA 30 hour card holder is desirable. Knowledge of Federal and State safety requirements and worker’s compensation is desirable.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Attend training sessions as required to improve and develop skills that will improve employee relations, productivity and efficiency.
SCOPE of AUTHORITY
- All employees have the right to question or refuse a work-related directive that is unsafe.
- All employees are expected to take appropriate measures regarding employee, product or equipment safety.
- The incumbent will be required to work from a McCain office or facility location and may travel as business needs require (the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces). The incumbent may work a standard work week, but additionally may be called upon to work evenings and/or weekends to accommodate deadlines, unplanned requirements, and/or production shift schedules as requested.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description covers the basic functions of the job and is not intended to provide a complete listing of daily tasks. Flexibility and improvement of job skills are essential to all positions at McCain Foods USA Inc.
McCain Foods is an equal opportunity employer. We see value in ensuring we have a diverse, antiracist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable workplace. As a global family-owned company we are proud to reflect the diverse communities around the world in which we live and work. We recognize that diversity drives our creativity, resilience, and success and makes our business stronger.
McCain is an accessible employer. If you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.