Del Monte – Yakima, WA
This position has primary responsibility to ensure that the organization is in compliance with all regulations that affect the environment and employee health/safety. This includes establishing corporate or business unit-wide policies and programs that comply with regulations and ensuring overall compliance at all sites and laboratories. Specific policies include clean air, disposal of hazardous waste, LO/TO, Fall Protection, Confined Space, etc.
This position plays a key role in the company’s incident management and business continuity planning. Handles coordination of all internal and external compliance programs and inspections to ensure compliance with applicable standards and prevailing professional practices. Ensures that actions are taken to correct deficiencies or violations of standards, investigates employee complaints and suggestions regarding hazardous conditions, maintains site health and safety records, manages support contracts, and interfaces with federal, state, and local regulatory officials.
- Provides strategic leadership and guidance for the Region EHS team, including people, data, and budgetary responsibilities. Ensures ongoing and full compliance with all applicable safety regulations, workplace safety and inspection programs.
- Monitors Worker’s Compensation, auto liability and general liability claims and acts as a liaison to insurance carriers, local management, Corporate Risk Management, benefits, injured employees and medical providers.
- Ensures compliance with EHS audit, inspection and risk assessment processes. Reviews and analyzes EHS audit results to confirm that corporate, business, and government standards are met.
- Monitors laws and regulations, evaluates applicable standards and requirements, and partners with Division teams to formulate the most cost-effective compliance alternative that provides for the protection of the environment, provision for employee safety, maintenance of appropriate risk management.
- Works closely with key business partners to evaluate, develop and implement programs and processes to minimize potential for employee injuries and vehicle incidents.
- Functions as a liaison with governmental inspectors, agencies, and regulators in the event of inspections to correct deficiencies and to minimize citations and fines for non-compliance.
- Develops and coordinates EHS training plans for factory location.
- Develops Environmental, Health and Safety procedures/programs and responsibility for implementation of these procedures/programs at factory location.
- Assists with environmental due diligence for acquisitions, divestitures and site closures.
- Utilizes key metrics to drive performance in EHS at the factory location.
- Communicates EHS factory results to all levels within the organization.
- Participates in the annual EHS conference, quarterly webcasts, regional meetings, etc.
- Develops and manages department EHS financial budget.
- Manages and interacts with a diverse group of factory and corporate personnel.
- Recommends new policies or procedures as necessary.
- Coordinates and assists with the implementation of continuous improvement principles into EHS elements.
- Provides training to staff and employees to ensure that all recognize their contribution to improved EHS performance.
- Ensure compliance with any EHS legislation.
- Coordinate and attend any hearings on EHS matters.
- Lead on corporate social responsibility issues and action.
- Works closely with other EHS Managers from other Business Units.
- Provide environmental regulatory and technical guidance for:
- Wastewater and storm water management, permitting and controls
- Air emission management, permitting and controls
- Solid and hazardous waste management
- Pollution prevention and resource conservation
- Underground storage tanks
- Builds proactive safety culture at plant. Creates environment where employees and supervision are engaged in working safely.
- Prepares, maintains, and complies with EHS requirements from federal, state, and local agencies and Corporate EHS Standards. Advises on all EHS legislation and legal requirements. Serves as the interface with local, state and federal agencies.
- Knowledge and experience in waste management regulations — manifesting, profiling, LDR.
- Knowledge and experience in preparation of regulatory reports including biennial waste report, Tier II, Form R.
- Knowledge and experience with facility inspections to ensure environmental compliance.
- Knowledge and experience of RMP/PSM regulations and compliance.
- Knowledge with Environmental Regulations and compliance such as RCRA, MACT, NSPS, NPDES, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in Occupational Health and Safety Regulations such as LOTO, Bloodborne Pathogens, HAZWOPER, Emergency Preparedness, PIT, etc.).
- Knowledge and experience in identification, tracking, formulation and presentation of lagging and leading indicators applicable to individual site Safety performance.
Communication and Influence
- Serves as a change agent to drive process improvements and cultural change.
- Creates alignment.
- Exceptional leadership skills and ability to mentor and motivate (a real passion for EHS).
Del Monte Foods Inc. Core Behaviors
Get Our Hands Dirty
- Dig in and understand the business
- Pursue goals with purpose and urgency
- Stay focused on priorities
- Persevere to overcome challenges or obstacles
- Drive for results
- Develop effective solutions
- Improve processes, products or services
- Take calculated risks
- Leverage data for insights that drive business performance
- Ensure successful execution and outcomes
Grow Success Together
- Collaborate and promote teamwork
- Help others achieve individual or shared goals
- Hold ourselves and others accountable for commitments
- Create an inclusive environment where everyone is valued
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a related field.
- CSP, or other EHS related certifications, a plus.
- 5+ years related experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Generally requires 5+ years’ related experience in EHS management or equivalent combination.
- Experience leading and implementing EHS strategies within a matrixed corporate culture.
- Strong leadership and effective team management and development skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent people and decision-making skills.
- Advanced experience managing large teams through significant technology-driven change management.
- Highly experienced in negotiation and management of vendor contracts with adequate interface with supply chain and logistics.
- Knowledge and application of environmental, health and safety regulations and familiarity with EHS regulatory agency protocols.
- Strong experience as an Environmental and Sustainability subject matter expert.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Competitive salary.
- Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401(k).
Del Monte Foods, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.