The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization, with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. The J.R. Simplot Company is a true farm-to-table company with operations that touch every aspect of agriculture, including seed production, farming and ranching, plant sciences, fertilizer manufacturing, food processing, commercial product development, and distribution.
This role will be responsible for ensuring that all regulatory and other compliance obligations of the plant are achieved with regards to water quality; Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA); and other areas such as the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). Environmental engineers apply their problem-solving skills and scientific knowledge to projects that impact the environment. Provide technical support and coaching to plant engineering and operational teams (e.g. process engineering, operators, etc.) Drive continuous improvement in our environmental improvement programs. Inspect our facility and programs in order to evaluate operational effectiveness and ensure compliance with environmental regulations. Designing, developing, testing and implementing technical solutions which will help our organization reduce any impact on the environment.
- Consult with operations, maintenance, and engineering on how to manage water, CERCLA, and FSMA compliance systems and the development of new systems.
- Develop and manage engineering projects related to water compliance such as erosion control, identifying and fixing leaking pipes, and the design of piping systems.
- Compile all documentation for compliance related to these programs including the Environmental Quality Reuse Permit under the Clean Water Act; the Consent Orders under CERCLA; and procedures under FSMA.
- Create and present environmental training programs for all employees.
- Manage the well sampling for the groundwater monitoring and extraction under CERCLA.
- Manage the maintenance for sumps, pads, and underground lines that could affect groundwater quality.
- Review workplans and reports for CERCLA.
- Interpret and present scientific data for quality-control and compliance verification to the business and to regulators.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. or B.S.) from 4 year college or university
- 1+ years of relevant work experience.
- Experience managing water and/or CERCLA compliance preferred.
- Experience in Phosphate Industry/Phosphoric Acid Fertilizer mfg. preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage priorities, meet deadlines and manage projects.
- Must be able to show initiative and be a ‘self-starter’ to achieve working goals.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced Excel skills is preferred.