J.R. Simplot Company – Pocatello, ID
The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization, with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. The J.R. Simplot Company is a true farm-to-table company with operations that touch every aspect of agriculture, including seed production, farming and ranching, plant sciences, fertilizer manufacturing, food processing, commercial product development, and distribution.
Staff in the Environmental department apply their problem-solving skills and scientific knowledge to projects that impact the environment through providing technical support and coaching to plant engineering and operational teams (e.g., process engineers, operators, etc.) and driving continuous improvement by designing, developing, testing and implementing technical solutions which make our operations more efficient and reduce impact on the environment.
This role will be responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance for the facility’s Industrial Wastewater Reuse Permit, Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan, source control requirements in the CERCLA Record of Decision, use of the facility’s water rights, and other duties as assigned. This role will partner with operations and engineering staff to oversee the plant-wide water balance, efficient operation of the extraction well system, and assessment of the water reclaim system.
- Responsible for management of plant wastewater and the associated reuse permit, including coordinating with operations, maintenance, and engineering on oversight of the elementary neutralization unit, lined storage ponds, and irrigation delivery systems. This includes compliance monitoring and associated reporting.
- Oversees and coordinates the inspection, design, and maintenance of production containment systems. This includes review and analysis of groundwater monitoring data to verify integrity of the containments.
- Support the site groundwater monitoring program through contractor support and oversight.
- Coordinates with the CERCLA manager, consultants, operations, and maintenance groups to ensure efficient operation of the groundwater extraction system. This includes adjusting well pumping rates to ensure containment is maintained and contaminant extraction is maximized, tracking and reporting of system performance including individual well on-stream time and efficiency.
- Monitor and report on plant-wide water balance including water usage and water reclaim.
- Compile all documentation for compliance related to the Clean Water Act, Superfund, and other environmental programs.
- Create and present environmental training programs for all employees.
- Interpret and present scientific data for quality-control and compliance verification to the business and to regulators.
- Bachelor of Science in a relevant field from a 4-year college or university, engineering degree preferred
- Prefer at least 5 years demonstrated experience in environmental compliance or project management
- Demonstrated ability to manage priorities, meet deadlines, and manage projects.
- Must be able to show initiative and be a ‘self-starter’ to achieve working goals.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Advanced Excel skills is preferred.